ERQ: Role of culture in relationships
The curriculum guide has the following learning outcome: Explain the role culture plays in the formation and maintenance of relationships. Because the command term is a level 2, this is the only way this question can be asked.
Looking at the learning outcome, it is possible that the question could be phrased in any of the following way: Explain the role culture plays in the formation and maintenance of relationships.
Explain asks students to give a detailed account of reasons and causes. In this case, what are the factors within a culture that affect how we approach relationships? Arguments or research can be evaluated to demonstrate critical thinking.
- Buss (1990) Cross-cultural study on mate selection
- Goodwin (1995) on the role of passionate love in Western cultures.
- Gupta & Singh (1982) happiness in arranged marriages in India
- Levine (1995) on the role of love
- Xiaohe & Whyte (1990) on happiness in arranged marriages in China